“Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything.” ― Napoleon Hill
I got up this morning before everyone. I made my hot tea, grabbed my journal, laptop and a book, and went and sat on my back patio. Wow, this morning has been gorgeous. It is really nice to have alone time in the morning, when it is still and quiet, before the hustle and bustle of the day. The morning bird chirping is the most beautiful music to hear.
In the mornings, I have several little routines or habits that I do to keep positive, creative, balanced and happy. Today I want to share one of those habits with you. Every morning, I write a page of “Today I desire,” which is all about me connected with myself on what I want and need, and what I’m hoping and wishing for. It’s a page for allowing myself to want, wish, hope and desire ANYTHING– no rules, no “I shouldn’t want that” no, “I can’t do that” no “I’m not allowed.” I have total freedom and total range to express anything. Many times I will write down things I want for other people and that is OK too. From doing this exercise every day, I have become more attuned with myself and I have a much greater range of freedom throughout my day. The other amazing thing is that I seem to be attaining more and more of what I want in my life.
A really cool thing happened to me this morning after writing my desires. When I had written down my desire for a new home, inspiration rushed through me and so I leaned back in my chair, closed my eyes and began imagining my new home…the one that I want. I have never seen it, but as I sat on my patio, eyes closed and leaning back, I imagined it so clearly, clearer than ever. I was so amazed at what I saw, all the details, things I had never thought of before. I recognized how my imagination and my ability to dream have grown leaps and bounds. It kind of scared me, because the creativity of what I was imagining was beyond me. I attribute this growth and improved ability to vision to my daily exercise of allowing myself to desire and also to the fact that I have been giving myself increasingly more time to be still and relax. Creativity needs freedom to flow, and it also needs the time and attention to develop.
Try it right now. Pull out a piece of paper and pen and go town on what you desire. If you really give yourself permission to want anything, you will be pretty liberated to see what unfolds. See what happens throughout your day too! And do this every day. Make it a habit.
I’ll share with you what I wrote for today. It’s a bit embarrassing to share, but I wanted you to see how free I am when I do this exercise to encourage you to do the same.
Today I desire…
- for Kaleb and Martha’s house to get painted before the baby comes
- for David and Karen to be able to get a house
- to help my clients express their authentic self
- to want to work out
- for Skylar to get her museum project done TODAY!
- to have fun with Stephen tonight at Amy’s
- to enjoy this day
- to be in the moment today and not planning tomorrow
- to feel free
- to feel abundant
- to be fit and healthy
- to choose nutritional foods
- to drink plenty of water
- to trust myself
- to hear God’s voice
- to make a difference
- to help people gain balance
- to be forgiving
- to be honest and open
- a new car
- for my kids to get along with each other
- for my kids to have confidence in themselves
- a new fence in my backyard, so that we can have some privacy
- a patio cover before it gets too hot
- for Chuckie to be happy
- for Josh and I to have a relationship
- for my hair to grow faster
- to feel good in a bathing suit
- a newer, more spacious home with room for creativity, music, dance, and for us to each have our own space